Refreshing Coriander Oats Delight
A hydrating cooler that’s perfect for a hot day, this delicious flavoured buttermilk is a powerful weight-loss booster. Extremely simple to make this drink is designed to both keep you cool and help you stay full for longer. The power of oats and the nutritional benefits of flax seeds combined with the refreshing taste of coriander and yogurt will be the perfect thing to whip up when the hunger pangs strike.
Serves: 2 | Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Coriander leaves & stems/ हरा धनिया - 200 g
- Plain oats/ ओट्स ( जई ) - 3 tbsp
- Buttermilk / chaas/ छाछ - 500 ml
- Flax seeds/ फ्लैक्स सीड ( अलसी ) - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds/ जीरा - 1 tsp
- Water/ पानी - 1 cup
- Ginger/ अदरक - ½ tsp
- Green chilli/ हरी मिर्च - 1
- Black salt/ काला नमक - ½ tsp
- Stevia powder/ स्टीविया - ¼ tsp
- Roast the oats, flax seeds and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until the flax start to crackle and the oats become slightly brown. This helps intensify their flavours and cook the oats. Alternatively you can buy pre-roasted flax seeds and oats which are available in the market.
- Then soak this dry mixture in a cup of water for 10 minutes. The oats and seeds will soften and absorb the water. Try not to add too much because you don’t want to drain the water, as doing so will toss out the nutrients.
- Add the green chilli and ginger to the chutney jar of your blender and make a very fine paste. If you add the ginger and chilli to your drink without making it a paste first, it will not grind properly and there will be small pieces in your cooler. You may add some water while preparing this paste to help it blend more easily.
- Next we prepare some buttermilk or chaas. This can be made simply by diluting some yogurt with water. You can even just make this in the blender by mixing the yogurt with water.
- For this drink you can use both the leaves and the stems of the coriander plant. Only use stems that are green as opposed to the woody ones.
- Add the ginger-chilli mixture along with the coriander, buttermilk, black salt, stevia and the oats mixture and blend it till smooth.
- Garnish with a sprig of coriander and you’re ready to drink!
Benefits of Coriander:
- Rich in dietary fiber, Iron & Magnesium, Coriander leaves help reduce cholesterol, menstrual disorders and also detox the kidneys.
- Has disinfecting, detoxifying and antifungal properties and helps clear up skin infections and maladies.
Benefits of Stevia:
- Stevia is an all-natural zero-calorie sweetener. It’s made from the stevia plant.
- It has anti-allergic properties and is considered great for diabetics.
- Stevia doesn’t affect blood sugar or insulin levels and its naturally sweet and low in calories.
- It is considered much healthier than the artificial sweeteners available today.
Benefits of Black Salt:
- Black salt is a cooling salt and is ideal for summers. Its unusual colour comes from small amounts of iron and other minerals present in the salt.
- It helps regulate blood pressure and cures heartburn.
- It is known to be excellent for digestion and to help cure constipation.
Benefits of Flax Seeds:
- Considered excellent for women’s health, flax seeds helps regulate and balance hormones.
- Flax seeds promote healthy hair and skin.
- They are high in fibre and gluten free while being low in carbohydrates. They promote weight-loss.