Hearty Bread Chicken Stew
An innovative recipe to try out when you're tired of the usual fare, this luscious chicken gravy based in bread is totally delectable.
Serves: 4-5 | Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 40 mins
- Chicken/ चिकन - 1 kg
- Oil/ तेल - 1 tsp
- Butter/ मक्ख़न - 2 tbsp
- Bread/ ब्रेड - 4 to 6 slices
- Garlic/ लहसुन - 8 cloves, sliced
- Green chillies/ हरी मिर्च - 6 to 10, chopped
- Spinach/ पालक - 2 tbsp, chopped
- Coriander/ हरा धनिया - 2 tbsp, chopped
- Tomato/ टमाटर - 1 large, grated
- Onion/ प्याज़ - 1 large, chopped
- Potato/ आलू - 1 large, chopped
- Carrot/ गाजर - 2 small, cubed
- Button mushrooms/ बटन मशरुम - 1 cup, cubed
- Baby corn/ बेबी कॉर्न - half cup, slit and chopped
- Capsicum/ हरी शिमला मिर्च - 1, chopped
- Bay leaf/ तेजपत्ता - 2
- Peppercorns/ काली मिर्च - 12 to 20, crushed
- Water/ पानी - as required
- Turmeric Powder/ हल्दी - 1/2 tsp
- Mixing bowls
- Large saucepan
- We start by soaking the bread. You can use the bread of your choice, but typically plain white bread works well for this recipe.
- Soak the bread in only as much water needed to submerge it. You can leave this aside while you get started with the rest of the prep.
- We’ve used a whole bone-in chicken pieces for this recipe, however you may choose to use boneless pieces if you like. Marinate your chicken in a few pinches of salt and pepper. Leave it aside for 30 minutes. This is an optional step so it’s alright if you don’t have time and need to skip it.
- Now start with a big, deep saucepan on your stove on medium heat. Add in a drizzle of oil and follow that with a knob of butter. The oil prevents the butter from burning.
- Now add in the sliced garlic and chopped chillies. You should add more chillies if you like your food spicy because the green chillies are the main source of spice in the dish.
- Cook these for 2-4 minutes until their aromas release. Then add in the chopped spinach, grated tomato and chopped coriander. These need to be cooked in the oil for a couple of minutes. They will give the gravy a lovely green base.
- Now add in the onions and let them soften slightly.
- Then add in the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms*, baby corn and capsicum. Give them a good stir and let them cook for a couple of minutes. Feel free to substitute these vegetables with other vegetables of your choice.
- When the vegetables have been cooking for about 5 minutes you can add in your chicken. Coat the chicken fully in the prepared vegetable mixture and make sure everything gets incorporated.
- Now crush up your peppercorns in a mortar & pestle. You should crush these to a coarse powder. If you like the taste of pepper then feel free to add extra.
- Follow that with the turmeric powder. Turmeric, in addition to being a nutritionally beneficial spice also adds a hint of colour to the dish. Also season the mixture with salt.
- Now add in enough water to cover all the ingredients. Add a couple of bay leaves to the mixture and let them stew in this liquid for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can blend up your soaked bread into a nice thin paste in a blender. Just tip the whole soaking mixture into the blender and give it a few turns. A gravy will form easily.
- Now add this gravy to your chicken mixture and allow it to get incorporated properly by stirring through well.
- Now this mixture needs to cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the gravy comes to temperature and thickens.
- Serve your lovely Bread Chicken Stew with some fresh Brun Pav or some steamy rice!
*A note on cleaning mushrooms:
- Mushrooms don’t do well in water. Soaking them tends to damage their texture.
- Proper cleaning of mushrooms demands patience and time. It should be done with a damp cloth or tissue.
- If you don’t have time then you can rinse your mushrooms in cold water using salt as a scrub. The difficult to remove dirt can be cleaned better by using a generous amount of salt and rubbing it into the mushroom.
- This method will allow the mushrooms to get cleaned with minimal damage to their texture. Dry them off on paper towels before using them.